Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  RossiniSop@a...
RossiniSop@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 19, 2001  5:40 am
Subject:  Re:soloist voice singing in the choir

Hi all!

I have decided to sing with a local Messiah group here, and have some
questions for those of you with very soloistic voices who have tried this.

I have already had a few very thinly-veiled comments about blending from the
soprano section leader when I asked about being seated near the back.

I sang with them 9 years ago, and did the solos for some of the performances,
as well as sang the choral stuff. At that time the director had me in the
back with all the tall people. I assumed he did this so that my voice would
stick out less.

Anyway, I asked to be put in the back this time, and instead I got put smack
dab in the middle of the sopranos. When I mentioned this to someone, they
said that's where the best voices should be, but I never heard this before.

So, where do they put the stronger singers? And should I try to blend? I
have been holding back a little, and can feel my support going, which I just
don't like. They keep telling the sopranos to lighten up when they go up to
G, A, and Bb, but that's where my voice is big and vibrant. Also, every time
the director makes a comment about the sopranos singing loud on high notes, I
feel self-conscious. I think he is talking about somebody else, really,
because I stopped to listen and heard some not-very-pretty sounds up there
and they were loud.

I am very conscious of actually singing the dynamics, which not a lot of the
people can do or are doing, but I am not sure if this sort of situation can
ever work itself out. Do any of you have experiences like this to relate?
Do you think it is just better not to sing with choruses (even if you love
the music)? Or should I ignore everything and just sing?

Any comments welcome.....

Elise Curran
Orlando, FL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14806 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Greypins@a...   Fri  10/19/2001   3 KB
14807 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir GWendel Yee   Fri  10/19/2001   3 KB
14812 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Lana Mountford   Fri  10/19/2001   6 KB
14813 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Mezzoid@a...   Fri  10/19/2001   2 KB
14814 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Lee Morgan   Fri  10/19/2001   5 KB
14816 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Mezzoid@a...   Fri  10/19/2001   2 KB
14825 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir Margaret Harrison   Fri  10/19/2001   5 KB
14832 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir nicktenor@a...   Sat  10/20/2001   2 KB
14848 Re: soloist voice singing in the choir sopran@a...   Sun  10/21/2001   2 KB

emusic.com