Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Karena Aslanian" <cantare@p...>
"Karena Aslanian" <cantare@p...>
Date:  Thu Oct 18, 2001  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: speaking of support

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Isabelle Bracamonte
<ibracamonte@y...> wrote:
> I've tried asking her to do a variety of things, but
> her main problem is that she relaxes all of her
> abdominal muscles and refuses to use any muscular
> energy at all. She says that singing should be as
> natural as speaking and that she doesn't want to cause
> tension, push, or become "muscle-bound."

Hi Isabelle -

It's really hard to argue with dogmatism, isn't it?? This seems like
it might be a case of irreconcilable differences - if she has her own
strong belief about something as basic as breath, and refuses to
follow your technique in this area at all, then it seems that you
might be simply mismatched to each other. I don't know how you can
get any work done at all if you can't find some kind of agreement on
this issue, or at least a willingness on her part to *try* it and see
if it doesn't feel better than her way. If she absolutely refuses to
go along with you here, perhaps she needs to find another teacher,
one who will be okay with her trying to control everything with her
throat and blowing out her cords :)

Good luck,
Karena

emusic.com