Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Oct 18, 2001  3:19 pm
Subject:  re: Forgetting how to breathe

>I feel that I've worked too hard at breathing over the last 6 months and
>want to figure out how to 'let breathing happen' rather than thinking about
>every breath. Apart from taking Yoga/Tai-Chi classes can someone suggest
>excersizes for taking my brain somewhere else while I breathe ?

The following are exercises that I learned from various students of Carl
Stough, who did some fascinating work with breathing. (No book is
available that I know of, unfortunately.)

1. Silently say "lalalalalala...." to comfortably let all the breath out.
Close your mouth and allow the breath to return.

2. Hold the breath out until the reflexive breathing occurs.

You might also explore the Alexander Technique concept of the "whispered
ah" -- *this* is available in books!

Sometimes it also helps me to walk around the room and smell individual
objects on the inhale. Giving the inhale a purpose can short-circuit the
impulse to make too much effort in breathing.

Good luck!
Naomi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14799 Re: Forgetting how to breathe Karen Mercedes   Thu  10/18/2001   3 KB

emusic.com