Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Wed Oct 17, 2001  8:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Vocal Pedagogy direction? Long & Opinion

At 01:21 AM 10/17/01 +0000, Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...> wrote:
>Great post too, but you seem to think William
>Shakespeare (the vocal teacher) is doing ok? Maybe
>I've misread, but by God, I had a teacher at the RCM
>who favoured his 'method' and that's why I began
>teaching singing. So no poor swine could ever be
>taught as badly again!!!!

Another couple of thoughts on this matter: 1) just because a person claims
to teach a particular "method" doesn't mean that s/he actually understands
and properly teaches the method; 2) the guru in question might be a better
teacher than a writer, if you go strictly by books (I had a conversation a
few years back with a woman who studied with one of the big gurus and said
that his actual teaching wasn't much like it looked in his books, but was
much better). As I said, just a couple of general thoughts; I glanced at
the Shakespeare text some years ago and frankly don't remember much of it....

Leslie J.

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music
Southeast Missouri State Univ.