Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 17, 2001  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Pedagogy direction? Long & Opinion to Mike mostly!

In a message dated 10/17/2001 4:24:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
Idbelsey@y... writes:
Idbelsey@y... writes:

<< Mind you, still not quite convinced by lower voices for instance doing the
crooner thing. . .? Having said that, I'd far rather have Moon River than
Mozart's Figaro anyday!! Lol! >>

Kind of related, but not really - I had my studio recital on Sunday - 22
students sang, every one of them who signed up SHOWED up, which was
gratifying in and of itself (I was expecting someone to be too terrified and
call in "sick"), and they brought 70 people with them, many more than we
expected. One of my HS students is extremely timid, and was very nervous
about singing in front of people. She sang "Moon river" and we decided that
since the song was so short, we would do a repeat and have a singalong for at
least the first part of the song. She got thru the initial statement of the
song fine and then I cued the audience for the repeat (text was in the
program). To my surprise, not only did all the students join in, but their
families and friends as well. The room was filled with this sound, and it
was such an amazing sense of community. I listened to it on my mini-disc
later (what a good investment THAT was!) and it was almost as moving played
back as it was live. The student was so moved that when she came in she had
a little trouble getting thru it - so since I was standing there, I joined
her for the end of the song, and went into harmony with her. It was just a
really gratifying experience for all of us.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>