Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 16, 2001  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Pedagogy direction? Long & Opinion

In a message dated 10/16/2001 5:21:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:
dalila@R... writes:

> The "bel canto school" can do this - and has been doing it for over two
> centuries. I'm not sure "speech level singing", the "Buckingham technique"
> or any other "school" can make the same claim.

Bel Canto is a catch all phrase, that almost every teacher who espouses to
teach it will define differently and in many cases offer wildly varied
techniques on how to achieve the results they are going for. Therefore the
term "Bel Canto" is really useless and I don't know that you can therefore
make any claims that is has produced anyone because it is not uniformly
codified such as a technique like speech level singing is.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com