Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Oct 15, 2001  10:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] female duets

In addition to the fine duets listed:

There's a very nice soprano/mezzo duet in the Berlioz opera
"Beatrice et Benedict", his setting of Shakespeare's Much
Ado About Nothing. You'll need to find a piano/vocal score
of the opera to find it.

I have recently been listening to a recording of Handel's
opera Rinaldo (with Renee Fleming, Cecilia Bartoli and David
Daniels!!!) that has an exquisite soprano/mezzo duet.
Again, one would probably have to locate a piano/vocal score
of the opera to get the music. (I really want to do it
myself, but have been uable to come up so far with a
piano/vocal score; just a full score was at the DC library.
But I haven't given up yet.)

I also like the Servilia/Annio duet from Mozart's La
Clemenza di Tito. This is a very good duet for two lighter
voices, and there's also a Sesto/Vitellia duet for more
dramatic voices.

Schumann wrote a bunch of nice duets for high and low voice
- they're collected in a Peters edition. And I'm pretty
sure there's also a Peters edition of Brahms duets. I know
there's a Peters edition of Handel duets, but I don't if
that would be a good buy, because at least two of the five
or so duets in the collection are soprano/soprano.

I second Karen's recommendation of the two terrific
soprano/alto duets from Handel's Judas Maccabeus. Both are
lovely. One is short and very easy, and the other is longer
and slightly harder, but not terribly hard.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com