Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Oct 15, 2001  9:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] female duets

Some non-opera duets to consider:

Edward German: Restless River

Michael Balfe: Trust Her Not!

J.S. Bach: Christe Eleison, from MASS IN B minor; So ist mein Jesus, from
SAINT MATTHEW PASSION

Oscar Straus: The Helene/Frederica duet from EIN WALZERTRAUEME

Pergolesi: There are several lovely duets in his STABAT MATER, but the
most noteworthy is the opening duet, "Stabat Mater dolorosa", which
Jean-Jacques Rousseau called "the most perfect and touching duet to come
from the pen of any composer".

Handel: Oh, lovely peace (also: Come ever smiling liberty), from JUDAS
MACCABEUS; Prepare then, ye immortal choir, from SEMELE; Italian Duets
(incl. Tanti strali al sen mi schocchi; A mirarvi io son intento; Troppo
cruda, troppo fiera; Se tu non lasci amore; Conservate, radoppiate;
Langue, gene, sopira e si lagna; No, di voi non vo' fidarmi; Sono liete,
fortunate; and Fronda leggiera e mobile); A tenere affetti, from OTTONE

Purcell: Sound the Trumpet, from "Come ye sons of Art" Z.335; In vain the
am'rous flute
, from "Hail bright Cecilia" Z.328; O solitude my sweetest
choice Z.406; O dive custos Auriacae domus, from "Elegy upon the Death of
Queen Mary Z.514

John Blow: Ode on the Death of Mr Henry Purcell

Couperin: Trois Lecons de Tenebres

In the art song repertory, there are numerous duets. Look into:

Mendelssohn: Duets (6) op. 63; Duets (3) op. 77; Folksongs (3) for 2
voices

Schumann: Vocal Duets (3) op. 4; Spanische Liederspiel op. 74;
Madchenlieder op. 103; Sommerruh; Lieder Album fur die Jugend op. 79

Reger: Duets (5) op. 14

Brahms: Duets (3) op. 20; Duets (4) op. 41; Duets (5) op. 66; Vocal Duets
(4) op. 61

Faure: Pleurs d'or op. 72; Tarantelle op. 10 #2; Puisqu'ici-bas op. 10 #1;
Cantique

Franck: Duos (6) for soprano, alto and piano M.89

Debussy: Chanson espagnole

Saint-Saens: El desdichado

And a few more from operas:

Von Flotow: MARTA - Mesta ognor (or you could do it in the original
German)

Arne: ARTAXERXES - For thee I live, my dearest (also Fair Aurora, pr'ythee
stay)

Purcell: THE INDIAN QUEEN: Let us wander not unseen

Mozart: IDOMENEO - Lo dica amor

Prokofiev: VOINA I MIR (WAR AND PEACE) - Kak solntsa za poroi plenitelen
zakat (Natasha and Sonia)

Meyerbeer: LE PROPHETE - Un pauvre pelerin

Berlioz: BEATRICE ET BENEDICT - Nuit paisible et sereine

And, if your soprano has a good low-middle and lower register, you could
also consider doing the wonderful Didon/Anna duet from Berlioz' LES
TROYENS - Vois aimerez, ma soeur.

There are some wonderful comic duets for soprano and mezzo or soprano and
contralto. These include Rossini's Duetto Buffo per Due Gatti (Cat Duet),
as well as:

Novello: We'll gather lilacs, from PERCHANCE TO DREAM

Bernstein: We are women, from later editions of CANDIDE (Scottish National
Opera version of the score includes it)

Gilbert & Sullivan: Now wouldn't you like to rule the roast? from PRINCESS
IDA

There are also some great musical theatre duets for women. Some of my
favourites:

Sondheim: Every day a little death, from A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

Bernstein: A boy like that/I have a love, from WEST SIDE STORY

Bernard J. Taylor: One rules my heart, from WUTHERING HEIGHTS

Frank Wildhorn: Bring on the men, from JEKYLL AND HYDE

Kurt Weill: Eifersuchts-Duett (Jealousy Duet) from DER DREIGROSCHENOPER
(THREEPENNY OPERA) - really for two sopranos, but again "do-able" by
soprano (singing Lucy) and mezzo with good upper register (singing Polly's
part)

Marsha Norman/Lisa Simon: Come to my garden, from THE SECRET GARDEN
(actually scored for low soprano and treble, but quite lovely with mezzo
and soprano)

No doubt much more - but I'm getting tired.

Karen Mercedes
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |

14708 Re: female duets Karen Mercedes   Mon  10/15/2001   2 KB

emusic.com