Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Oct 13, 2001  6:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] teacher's conduct

Craig Tompkins wrote:

I can't speak from experience with this sort of problem in
an academic environment, but I can speak from experience in
providing advice about complaints by employees towards
management in a bureacratic organizational environment (in
my job as a Human Resources advisor in a government agency).

If a valid problem isn't resolved to the complainant's
satisfaction at the first level, the complainant can elevate
to the next level in the hierachical organization, report
the problem to an via a formal process set up for this
purpose. Probably something like the Dean of Student
Affairs or Academic Affairs. I would recommend that the
student put the complaint in writing, include dates and
times and a factual description of the teacher's conduct in
as much detail as possible, and articulate the remedy the
student is seeking.

A remedy was already described in Craig's message as
transfer to another teacher, but I would recommend adding to
the requested remedy that the complaint result in no
negative impact on the student's academic career, and that
the Department Chairman be required to recuse herself from
juries and other professional decisions involving the
student. In any sort of process in adjudicating a complaint
like this, the person complained about will have the
opportunity to provide their side, and somebody makes a
decision based on the evidence. Sometimes there may be
additional fact-finding.

In this case, if I were reviewing the information provided
in my professional HR role, I would find this allegation not
to be an acceptable explanation for the inappropriate
conduct by the teacher, even if the allegation concerning
the student were proved to be true. Also, in my experience,
we always start by assuming everyone is telling the truth,
and only get to credibility determinations if the evidence
we have can't be reconciled any other way. And if I had to
get to credibility, I would question the credibility of an
allegation of "laziness" by a teacher who has seen a student
only a few times and for such a short duration.

I don't think that a letter to the school from an uninvolved
party (i.e., former teacher in another school) is
appropriate or necessary at this point, unless the student
learns specifically that her credibility is a real issue in
adjudicating the complaint.

The student could also consider consulting a lawyer if there
is no process as the school to resolve the problem.

If it were me, and this were otherwise a practical solution,
I'd consider asking for a refund of tuition and a good
academic recommendation and then go to a new school, because
a run-in with the Department Chairman is never a good thing,
no matter how it turns out.

I wish your former student good luck with a very difficult
and upsetting situation!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...