Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 10, 2001  2:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: Talk Soup (was: low notes)

In a message dated 10/10/2001 8:57:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:
dalila@R... writes:

<< Yes! He was incredibly touching - just honest and human. Not at all what
we've been conditioned to expect from late-night hosts. >>

Actually, I'd heard the same about Letterman, but unfortunately I missed it.
I watched Leno and wasn't that moved. Maybe it's because Leno isn't in NYC
and was probably still sleeping when the attacks happened, so it's not like
he saw it live in the streets or even on TV. I'm not negating the impact of
watching it on tape - but I saw everything from the 2nd plane crash to the
towers collapsing as it happened on the Today Show - I will never, ever
forget where I was when it happened. People who've seen it on tape have said
to me, "Oh, my G*d, you saw it live? I can't imagine how horrible that was."

In any event, I'm not a Leno fan, so perhaps that colors my opinion. I
thought he catered to the lowest common denominator in covering the OJ trial
(The Dancing Itos? No, thank you), and that has affected my feelings toward
his show. In fact, I turned his show on briefly and saw that he had taken
the Bin Laden interview video and superimposed a foreign voice singing "G*d
bless the USA" to indicate what we would be hearing from Bin Laden after
prolonged bombing. I just found it kind of bad taste and trivialized the
whole thing.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">