Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
"Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Tue Oct 9, 2001  1:06 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] low notes

Without hearing you, I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I can tell
you what I did wrong for a long time as a young mezzo and hope that it might
help. I used to really constrict the back of my throat in an effort to push
the voice down into the lower part of my range and to try to get the big,
rich mezzo sound that I thought I should have. What finally worked for me
was to keep the resonance forward (what my grad school teacher used to refer
to as "going down the front staircase" - I always loved that image) and
release the muscles in the back of my throat. It was what I always thought
of as letting my vocal cords flap in the breeze. The real key to it for me
came in letting my voice sound like it wanted to sound instead of trying to
force it to sound the way I thought it should sound. Once you come to terms
with that idea, it's easier to let the voice coordinate as it should.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano