Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 6, 2001  2:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Half-hour lessons

In a message dated 10/5/2001 9:05:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> I have always sung with chest tone...and I never thought it sounded
> breathy...when my teacher mimics the sound I make she makes it very
> breathy...but quite frankly it isn't as breathy as the majority of
> "unschooled" singers I have heard. I know this head tone thing is a
> must...and I am determined to learn the technique.

I'm going out on a limb here, but it could just be that your teacher isn't
used to a tone coming out of chest in a connected way. He/she associates a
voice that can do this as being all chest when in fact the voice may be
entering a mix much higher than he/she is used to hearing. This a real
typical response by a teacher who is used to hearing a voice only produced
with a low mix, or no mix at all in that head is being brought down
abnormally low. To a teacher like this, he/she would listen to Streisand
sing and think that's all chest. Ask your teacher what he/she thinks of a
singer like Streisand or Natalie Cole and how they produce their voice. I
think the answer will give you great isnsight as to how he/she perceives
vocal production and the role of head and chest in that production.

emusic.com