Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  10:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Half-hour lessons

In a message dated 10/5/2001 4:54:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< Isn't it strange that soemone would think this? We attend universities
and sit through sometimes a four hour long class.. >>

i have to admit to being slightly tongue in cheek in my post. but, i do
think in the case of beginners, that they need to be taught, right away, to
learn how to think for themselves and to take responsibility for their own
singing. i have gotten so sick of voice students who are so dependent on
their teachers, they think every word out of their teacher's mouth is a jewel
wrapped in gold.

of course, it is a question of money! beginners don't need to be paying
for hour lessons if a half hour is better for them. and, they don't need to
be making a bigger investment if it isn't going to be something they will
continue.

'four hour long class'? in what? i was talking just about voice
lessons and, i was speaking of half hour lessons as being ideal for
beginners. despite the foolery, i thought i was quite clear. i also think
there is a distinct difference between voice and other instruments and, i
believe that difference to be a factor in how it is approached (the
difference being that the instrument is the person's body and that the voice
is the first thing we all ever used).

mike

emusic.com