Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  6:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stuck

Add to Chris Thomas's exercises:

A siren - try imitating a police or ambulance siren, and feel that
vibration in your frontal cranium.

Also, very light stacatto 1-3-5-8-3'-8-5-3-1 arpeggios. Think about
keeping the sound very forward in the mouth, aimed at the front teeth and
the nose, and just very, VERY lightly stroke each note - put NO weight on
the notes - instead, try to keep that very pure "head tone" feel
throughout the register, not just on the high notes. I've found this very
useful not just for integrating my head register into my middle and chest,
but also for lightening my approach overall when necessary. Think about a
soap bubble bouncing along the surface of water flowing uphill and
downhill - the water flow is what moves, but the soap bubble (your sung
notes) remains equally light throughout the range. I've found the head
tone notes are a "no brainer" when I do this exercise - there's no other
way they CAN be produced.

KM
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |