Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Fri Oct 5, 2001  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing better when exhausted

Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...> wrote:
<< Hi, I've been having a rather curious experience of the last four months --
I'm finding that I have my best lessons after a work week that has left me
completely exhausted and without any time for practice, whereas lessons after a
normal work week are a complete struggle. It's almost as if by being very
tired I end up relying on my technique more and just let it happen.
Conversely, when I'm rested I end up trying to guide/control my voice with less
than spectacular results. >>

Ingo, I've often had the same experience. In fact, one of the best times I've
ever sung, was when I went to a lesson right after having a huge fight with my
husband! I went to the lesson, was still feeling really angry, and did not
care at all how I sounded. As a result, as Mike said, I got out of my own way,
and the technique that I have acquired over time allowed my best singing to
occur.

So, as you asked, how can you duplicate this other times? By trying to learn
how to get out of your own way. We each find our own ways of doing this.
Sometimes, getting into a relaxed, almost trance-like mode works. Sometimes,
focusing solely on a non-singing idea - such as the meaning of the text, or the
feel of the consonants on my lips - does it. Sometimes singing to my teacher
as if I were having a conversation with her, containing the text of the song,
does it.

The good news is that the gains realized while in the not-care mode don't go
away - these "not care" moments show you what your technique is allowing you to
accomplish vocally, and perhaps can help make you more confident in your vocal
abilities, thus also helping you in getting out of your own way.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14528 Re: Singing better when exhausted Jennifer   Fri  10/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com