Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 4, 2001  4:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A Personal Question (long, sorry!)

I had a similar situation, but in my case it was a former voice teacher of a
fellow student in my teacher's studio. The fellow student was an undergrad,
I was a MM student and somewhat of a peer to the teacher. He confronted me
at a party in front of a bunch of people and said, "Tell your teacher to cut
John [not his real name] some slack. She's giving him art songs, and he
should be singing Wagner and Verdi." (He was 18.) I didn't know WHAT to do
-- until I heard that he was going up to other faculty members from the
college at concerts and saying, "I wonder if you would consider taking John
as a student. His current teacher is ruining him." Based on that, I told
her.

Your college is a respected one. That doesn't guarantee your teacher is
great or even good, but I think I would trust the judgment of U-Mich over a
bunch of backstabbing undergrads. Sorry if that's harsh, but it sounds like
they have an agenda.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">