Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  RossiniSop@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 3, 2001  6:28 pm
Subject:  Re: Interesting opera poll result

Ingo--

Judging from what you said about your Spanish, I take it this is a Spanish
website/poll. If that's true, then the most probable answer to why Carreras
and Domingo are so far above any other tenor, including Italians Caruso and
Pavarotti, is a nationalistic one. Carreras and Domingo are Spanish, of
course, so it seems pretty obvious that the good people of Espana are biased
toward their countrymen, at least, as far as this poll shows.

I wonder what the results of the same poll would be in Italia?

Elise Curran
Orlando, FL

<<<<<
I saw this on another e-mail list. I have to admit that I'm a bit
surpirsed by the results, but since my Spanish is rather poor I
couldn't track down the actual results on the Opera Actual site. I can
could understand the preference of current tenors over singers from
earlier in the century, but Pavarotti's last place strikes me as odd.

Ingo

José Carreras has been chosen by the visitors to the Opera Actual
website, as the tenor the most noticeable of the century XX, raising
35% of the total voting from the May and June months. Placido Domingo
received the 2nd range with 26%, following by Alfredo Kraus (7%), Jussi
Bjorling (6%), Enrico caruso, Franco Corelli and Luciano Pavarotti
(4%).

emusic.com