Vocalist.org archive

From:  Zerbintta@a...
Date:  Sun May 7, 2000  12:29 pm
Subject:  Re:apprenticeships and careers (long)

<< So what's the best way to get it? Wait until you're
perfect and then using a big apprenticeship program to
"get launched," or going through the ranks and gaining
skills from these programs, then working to launch
yourself after you're through them? >>

If somebody knew the "best way" for every singer, they would make a mint by
selling their secret! You know what books you should read? - the two DIVA
books by Helena Marsoupolis (I think that's her last name. Sorry, I just
packe the books!) They are interviews with all the best, past and present.
You'll see that very few of them did apprenticeship programas and almost none
of them, especially in the modern era, had significant careers before they
were 30 or even 35.

The problem with many apprenticeship programs is that they are looking for
the next great voice. But any working professional will tell you that the
voice isn't everything. You can even train a singer to act and emote and
flawlessly sing in 7 languages. They could be the next coming of Maria
Callas and that STILL doesn't guarantee they'll have a career.

There is something more - guts, determination, the right mind set,
personality, intelligence, self-discipline and LUCK LUCK LUCK.
Apprenticeships can help or not. How many singers come out of Houston each
year? 12? So since 1988 (when I think it got into full swing) that's about
144 singers? I'll bet the bank they all don't have major international
careers and I even but that some aren't singing anywhere anymore for various
reasons.

Focus on yourself. Make yourself the best singer you can possibly be. Then
get out there and do as many auditions as you possibly can. The rest is
unpredictable.

Zerbinetta

emusic.com