Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Wed Oct 3, 2001  4:48 pm
Subject:  re: Flonase spray, knowing our place

Cindy wrote:

>Please don't take this amiss, but is it really your place (or our place),
>to educate others about specific medications if we are not physicians,
>pharmacists or chemists? I understand your concern regarding the use of
>cortico-steroids but for many allergy-suffering singers it is a first line
>of treatment. Is it really your place to second guess your student's
>physician? I agree that we need to educate ourselves about medications but
>is it appropriate to "educate" your student's parents? I think not.

Cindy, I take your point, and yet I also think that given how busy
physicians are and how little some of them understand the specific concerns
of the trained singer with regard to medication, it pays to be as
well-informed as possible and to try to bridge any gaps between the
physician's point of view and the singer's. As for educating the student's
parents, I feel that there is one situation wherein that might be
appropriate: if in fact the physician's recommendation did not take into
full account the vocal concerns and the student is having difficulties with
the medication that only a trained singer/voice teacher would detect.

That said, I'm glad that you have had such a positive experience with the
inhaled steroids and that you are alive to tell us about it!! : )

My humble two cents,
Naomi

emusic.com