Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  3:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > This just isn't true. There are plenty of women out there that
> sing in chest upto a4, mix at bflat and have better (longer)
> upper registers than classically trained singers. Just go back
> and listen to Minnie Ripperton and you'll see that.

Of course you're right - there are women who can do it. Still, I
maintain that these women who bring their chest up could probably
have a higher upper range if they switched lower, that's all I'm
saying. Mind you, I'm making no judgement - I often prefer this kind
of singer myself. A smaller range certainly does not mean an inferior
artist. Sometimes, as someone with a larger than average range, I
feel like it is inversely proportional to talent LOL! ;-)

I don't know Ripperton's voice, but when I think of Cyndi Lauper, who
takes her hard mix-like sound well into the classical soprano range,
I can tell that she would have a good half octave more if she had
a "headier" production. Not that I would want her to give up her
amazing sound...

There are even some "classical" sopranos who don't start mixing until
A4. They are notorious for having short careers, though, as are
tenors who sing bel canto opera in full chest voice. (short but often
brilliant careers, mind you - again, I'm making no value judgements!)

Tako

emusic.com