Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  1:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/2/2001 12:36:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
lolipastor@a... writes:
lolipastor@a... writes:

> okay, Randy. Sorry. I just learned that you are a pop teacher. So we're
> talking apples and oranges. Or something like that.
>
> I have no aspirations to sing pop. My best friend thinks that I should be
> the next MTV goddess or whatever, but I'm perfectly happy with my
> opera/operetta/musical theatre stuff.
>
> Sorry to cause a stir with you.
>
> Lauren

While I work with a lot of pop and musical theater people, a lot of my own
performing background is in classical and I do work with quite a few opera
singers; usually in a rehab setting. Most of the females in this case use
very little chest in the production of their bottom voices creating a
foundation of the instrument that needs high airflow. In turn, they need to
use quite a bit of extrinsic musculature to slam the folds together to resist
the airflow creating tremendous amounts of subglottal pressure. If they get
into chest, the prephonatory tuning of the cords is better and less air is
needed to engage Bernoulli. It's then a matter of learning how to get out of
chest without a flip, and that's a matter of how you train your students.
All (well 95%) of my students can do this.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14408 Re: A question of register mrclmind@a...   Tue  10/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com