Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  2:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: A question of Register

In a message dated 10/1/2001 8:42:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
harrisstudio@h... writes:
harrisstudio@h... writes:

<< but I believe beginning or damage voices need to strengthen
their head tone; chest is usually not a problem.>>

tina,

that depends on what they start with and, in the case of damage, the
nature of the problem.

<<*I have several female students who speak in their "head tone" and find
that
use of their chest voce is ugly and uncomfortable, so using the tern
"speaking voice" for "chest voice" is not always appropriate. >>

when i read this, that line from 'the wizard of oz' popped into my head,
"only bad witches are ugly". to me, speaking voice is whatever one speaks
with. 'head' and 'chest' voice are silly terms left over from the days when
they still used leeches to cure illnesses. i think it is more important to
figure out what the vocal folds are doing and how the resonance is being
used. to me, they are seperate operations. controlling the vocal folds is
like building the house and controlling the resonance is like painting the
house. i often find that people screw themselves up, with regard to
negotiating certain pitches, by insisting that a certain timbre be achieved.
in styles of music that have prohibitive timbre expectations, this is more
likely to be a problem.

mike

emusic.com