Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Tina Harris" <harrisstudio@h...>
"Tina Harris" <harrisstudio@h...>
Date:  Tue Oct 2, 2001  12:36 am
Subject:  Re: A question of Register

Interesting comments from several of you regarding registers; varied and
somewhat controversial. I will have to conclude that my student should
continue to use head voice when possible in order to strengthen it, and use
"speaking voice*/chest voice" mix when necessary for volume or style. She
has had such a hard time freeing up the upper range (8va above middle C)
that I feel she need to continue training getting into her head tone lower
in her range or else she gets "stuck" and can't get a free tone. Her issue
in the lower head tone is that it gets scratchy and her throat becomes
irritated. I had this problem until I learned to keep my soft palate very
high and my larynx low on my lower notes. Could it be that my student is
simply not keeping her palate high enough? Any other suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

And Mike, I know what you mean about bringing that mix up. It's doable for
pop and jazz, but I don't believe it is stylistically feasible for classical
or choral singing (at least when you try to get a good blend). Of course,
all well trained singers should be able to control their tone production and
sing all styles, but I believe beginning or damage voices need to strengthen
their head tone; chest is usually not a problem.

*I have several female students who speak in their "head tone" and find that
use of their chest voce is ugly and uncomfortable, so using the tern
"speaking voice" for "chest voice" is not always appropriate.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14373 Re: A question of Register Greypins@a...   Tue  10/2/2001   3 KB
14416 Re: A question of Register Jennifer   Tue  10/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com