Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  leskayc@a...
leskayc@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  8:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/1/01 2:13:14 PM Central Daylight Time, Mezzoid@a...
writes:

> The problem is that the zygomatic muscles are vertical, whereas the smile or
> risorius (sp?) muscles are horizontal. AND if you are using your zygomatic
> muscles, you are lifting your palate. So there's a slight discrepancies in
> terminology there...

I see what you are saying, although usually the big smile thing is for high
notes and that would require a raised palate. I believe it was you in an
earlier post who said that the "lowered palate" thing in the low register was
more of a horizontal feel and smaller mouth opening-this is absolutely right.
More of what I call "east to west" as opposed to "north to south," It is
just that the way she got me to understand was to the "smile" terminology.

She also teaches a "fake belt" technique, but I am not a candidate for that,
at least not now. If I am not mistaken some of this "lowered palate" stuff
(whether or not the palate is actually lowered or if this is just
terminology) is part of that technique. However, as I am not a belter I am
not sure.

Leslie

emusic.com