Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  8:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/01/2001 11:34:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

<< She also has me "smile" on some high notes, but the idea is not an ACTUAL
smile, just a lift of the zygomatics. BUT, the only way I can do it is to
smile. She says I will get the hang of it. I keep waiting. >>

The problem is that the zygomatic muscles are vertical, whereas the smile or
risorius (sp?) muscles are horizontal. AND if you are using your zygomatic
muscles, you are lifting your palate. So there's a slight discrepancies in
terminology there...

It's often called the "inside" smile -- like you're terribly, terribly amused
by someone but don't let on. I tell my students, "Imagine there is one
teacher that thinks he's awfully funny but no one else does -- and you and
your friend had been talking about how he always cracks weird jokes in class
-- and then he does. You don't look at your friend and give her a great big
cheesy grin, because then he'll know something's up and say 'Is there
something you want to share with us, Miss XYZ?' Instead you looked at her
with this look that says, 'there he goes again.'" They usually get it.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>