Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 1, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

In a message dated 10/1/2001 10:45:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
leskayc@a... writes:
leskayc@a... writes:

> OK, I am going to get in this. I am not a pedagogue, but I did have to have
> voice surgery 3 years ago (polyp). As part of my rehab I had the privilege
> of working with Dr. Tom Cleveland at the Vanderbilt Voice Center in
> Nashville, Tn. I was told by him that the number 1 cause of vocal cord
> lesions in sopranos and tenors was taking the chest voice too high. Now
> that
> I don't sing chest anymore I have added close to an octave to my range-I
> have
> much more resonance and no more raspy throat........................
>
> Leslie, who is now a high soprano with lots of range and very little chest
> voice....

Too high is one thing, but not using it enough adds a whole new spectrum of
problems; one being no career usually. The voice just does not have enough
presence. Learning how to get out of chest is essential but you shouldn't
confuse eliminating it as a viable alternative.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14341 Re: A question of register Tako Oda   Mon  10/1/2001   3 KB

emusic.com