Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 30, 2001  7:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

> << Here is my question: Should I keep stressing that
> she continue using her
> lower head voice in choir rehearsals in order to
> strengthen it, or should
> we work on blending the chest voice into the head
> tone?

> in my experience, trying to make too much sound
> in what you're probably
> calling head voice, in that range, is what
> eventually leads to a wobble so, i
> suggest using chest voice or, the voice she 'speaks'
> with (whatever you want
> to call that, be it 'chest' or a 'mix').

I have to disagree, Mike. I am a soprano, but I sang
alto in choir for many years, using chest voice all
the way up and it had some nasty results - a weak head
voice, and a horrible break between chest and head. It
took me many years to develop my lower head voice so I
could sing between middle C and the G a fifth higher
with any kind of resonance, and I still have a bit of
a break which is gradually getting better. I have two
suggestions:
a) this singer should stop singing alto if she is
really a soprano, especially since she's overcome her
former problems with the high notes;
b) use her head voice (or a mix) above middle C - the
only way to strengthen it is to use it! Continuing to
use chest to push out a bigger sound is only going to
result in continued problems developing a nice
resonant mixed sound in that area, and will probably
result in a big break forming.

For the first while this register will probably sound
weak, especially compared to blasting it out in chest
voice. This is to be expected and will improve with
time.

Jennifer