Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Sat May 6, 2000  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: you can't win 'em all(kinda long)

I agree wholeheartedly with the posts regarding
competitions.
If you go in strictly to win...you will find disappointment
more times than not.
We try to get our students to strive for their personal
best in a competition performance. The first place
award is icing after that.
And then of course there are those times when they
didn't do nearly their best and for some odd reason,
they win the category.
Judging is very "subjective" and although we don't
always understand the judges reasoning we accept
that they know what they are looking for.
The Canadian competition that we go to has a neat
system, whereby you receive an award based on your
mark:
bronze medal 75%-79.9%
silver medal 80%-84.9%
gold medal 85%-89.9%
elite gold 90% and over
It doesn't matter how many people are in a class...you
get a medal if you get the marks.
Then, there's a plaque or trophy for the highest mark
in the class.
It's amazing how the students don't worry about
who will win, but rather, getting a good mark and trying
for a medal.
This has gotten a little out of hand...more than you all
needed to know, right?
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1439 Re: you can't win 'em all(kinda long) and Met Aud Lisa M. Stachowicz   Sun  5/7/2000   4 KB

emusic.com