Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Hild <hild@c...>
Date:  Sat Sep 29, 2001  5:07 pm
Subject:  Re: I am a late starter--- Question: listening to yourself

> Lee Ann:
>
> Every singer comes up against frustration at one time or another--you may be
> fortunate in learning to deal with it early on in your studies. I'm sure
> that you'll get past your problem, but in the meantime, here are some "rules"
> that may be helpful.

You cannot imagine how sad i was when i found out i cannot sing
Wagner!!!! I don't know exactly what kind of soprano i am but i'm
DEFINITELY not a dramatic! :( If i was to sing in some point of the
opera someone would stand up and yell: Where the hell is the sop!? =)

> Rule number one: DO NOT LISTEN TO YOURSELF. You cannot possibly hear what
> everyone else hears, so you must learn by other sensations. A feeling of
> open-ness in the throat. A "buzz" in the "mask." Whatever works--trust your
> teacher more than your own ears.

We started recording some song- so i could study home-. It's been a year
since i began having classes and in the beginning everything was SO
wrong that i couldn't listen to my own voice recorded. Now i improved a
lot and i can do that :)))) Although when i hear my voice on the tape i
don't like my high notes!!!!! And i'm a soprano!!!!! On the other hand
my low-it means 2 notes =)- and mid register sound absolutely cute!
But when i listen to myself singing i have the feeling that my high
notes are cute and my low/mid register is okay and perhaps too dark! Do
I trust more in what I hear or in what's recorded??????????????????

Elizabeth wrote:

> I am of the opinion that the one hard-and-fast rule of singing is: If it
> hurts, you're NOT doing it right!

lol I remember one day that my teacher had me 5 minutes of an exercise
w/out the piano, i even thought: oh God, will it end or not? Then we
finished and my teacher asked me: Does it hurt? And i said no, and
panicked! Don't tell me we had a 5 minutes exercise and it was ALL
wrong?! lol Bad habit from physical education :)
Bruna

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
14289 Re: I am a late starter--- Question: listening tosopran@a...   Sun  9/30/2001

emusic.com