Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 29, 2001  4:04 pm
Subject:  chris cornell, was: Question about Singing

In a message dated 9/29/2001 2:30:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bluesrocker4u_1@y... writes:
bluesrocker4u_1@y... writes:

<< How the hell does Chris Cornell do it? >>

good question. in a recent discussion concerning the climax of 'say
hello 2 heaven' ('temple of the dog'), wim ritzerfeld suggested that cornell
is actually singing that E above tenor high C in chest. wim makes a
distinction between 'heavy' and 'light' mechanism. in our discussion, he
suggests that cornell remains in 'heavy' mechanism without making the
resonance adjustments that make the difference between 'chest' and 'head' in
the male voice.

other singers of similar styles, geoff tate, robert plant, axel rose seem
to use some kind of falsetto to achieve their high ranges. steve perry
seems to be legitimately a tenor. his singing is different from the others
as it seems his high range is achieved by more traditional means. one could
probably say the same thing about paul mccartney.

ingo titze, in an article on the site for the national center for voice
science (http://www.ncvs.org), suggested that we were all capable of such
wailing when we were children and that it was the learning of language that
has inhibited us in this ability (sorry, i can't remember which of the
articles, listed under 'singers', he said this in). from the time we learn
to speak, as titze seems to suggest, the great majority of our vocal use is
verbal. as most of us, in the west and, particulary we americans, seem to
mumble in our lower middle range, we lose contact with our ability to wail.
all styles of vocal music are affected by this. whatever the style, the
beginning singer finds it not only difficult to sing outside of the speaking
range but also, finds it difficult to sustain sound in a manner that is more
like wailing and less like singing.

to me, chris cornell has recalled his ability to wail. our analysis of
what he is doing does not necessarily instruct us in 'how to do it'.
reproducing the sound he makes may be quite different from recreating the
action that produced it which, in another singer may produce very different
sounds.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14310 Re: chris cornell, was: Question about Singing Denis J. Lanza   Mon  10/1/2001   7 KB
14448 Re: chris cornell, was: Question about Singing Greypins@a...   Wed  10/3/2001   2 KB
14450 Re: chris cornell, was: Question about Singing buzzcen@a...   Wed  10/3/2001   2 KB
14451 Re: chris cornell, was: Question about Singing Greypins@a...   Wed  10/3/2001   2 KB
14452 Re: chris cornell, was: Question about Singing buzzcen@a...   Wed  10/3/2001   2 KB