Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
lolipastor@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 29, 2001  4:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I am a late starter

Lea Ann--

how high are you taking your chest voice? And are you singing these 24
italian hits in your chest voice? Not only does this not seem to be an
appropriate style for the literture, but I think that you may be sacrificing
your head voice by doing this. I find that when I sing in my chest voice for
any extended period of time, I DO lose the broadness, brilliance, etc of my
head. The head voice just becomes weak and doesn't want to work once I've
sung in my chest voice above about a middle C. Now, I'm not emparting any
major pedagogical rule or anything -- this is just what I personally have
experienced. Try for awhile to just ignore your chest voice. Just sing in
your head voice, but with a good mix... meaning use the same breath and focus
that you have with the chest...and particularly on the bottom think of a
bony, teethy sound -- this will help focus it... I think you'll find once you
let your head voice take over, it will fill out on top. You will learn to
find the resonance needed for this voice, which I believe is a much healthier
approach than taking your chest voice way up high.

Like I said, this is just an experiement... it's not a hard and fast rule.
(I say this because I know we have MANY different opinions here)

Let me know how it goes,
Lauren

emusic.com