Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...>
Date:  Sat Sep 29, 2001  1:31 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Question about Singing

Hey There:
Although I am certainly far from the most experienced and knowledgeable
person on this list, I will take eon part of the question as I am a lyric
tenor male rock vocalist and am also trained and, therefore, sing correctly
(for the most part! LOL) Well, I read where you said that "I am hearing all
this stuff about relaxing your larynx and your soft pallete but if you would
hear the music that I listen to, I don't think they do either" - actually
they are! For instance, both Layne Stanley and Chris Cornell trained with
Maestro David Kyle in Seattle whose students also include Geoff Tate of
Queensryche and Ann Wilson of Heart. Also many of the current vocalists are
baritones: Aaron lewis of Staind, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, Scott Stapp of
Creed, Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, etc. so don't sweat it. Also,
with proper training and register coordination, a baritone can sing just as
high and just as healthy as a tenor. Just ask any SLSer! ;)
And you are also scaring me very badly with this talk of stretching out
and "making" your chest voice go higher. My teacher, the infamous Seth
Riggs, always says "You should never make your voice do anything. You allow
it to do what it needs to do." I know this may confuse you at this moment
and why shouldn't it. You need PROPER vocal instruction with someone who
both understands the mechanics of the voice and how to teach proper usage of
them (particularly the registers) and that respects pop/rock singers.
Now I invite the illustrious array of incredible pedagogues on our list to
illuminate the more technical aspects for you. Keep on singing! :=)

Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Lead Vocalist - Infinity Minus One