Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  8:46 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Falsetto range

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > what you describe as falsetto, i describe as airy falsetto.
> chest voice can be equally as airy and equally limited (as
> in harry connick jr.). what you describe as counter-tenor
> (notice the hyphen) head voice, i describe as adducted falsetto.

Well yeah, people can call things whatever they want! Ultimately, I'm
talking about the laryngeal mechanics, cuz that's easiest to quantify.

> the trouble i have had with your definition of head voice, in
> our past discussions, is that i have never really seen an example
> of something that i would call falsetto being actually connected
> to something i would call 'real' voice

It seems to me that most high Rossini tenors are using what you call
adducted falsetto in their upper ranges and really good at going back
and forth from their heavy mechanism, because their vocal folds are
thin and short. I can do the tenor thing and go up and up, just like
that as well, and it's not obvious to me where I am switching, though
I of course am, because there's no way I can sing a high Eb any other
way. My counter-tenor voice is that upper register, but just taken
further down into my range (like a lyric soprano, I think you'd
agree). Women, especially dramatic voices do the switcheroo all the
time too.

Tako

emusic.com