Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  bluesrocker4u_1@y...
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  6:58 pm
Subject:  Question about singing

How is it going people? I just have a couple questions about singing
in general.. I have been reading this message board for a while and
kindoff find myself getting confused by all of the talk in here. My
problem is this. I am trying to achieve a higher range in my
voice...particularly my chest voice. I just started this one class
in school and my teacher told me that I am a baritone. I was very
upset when I heard this because many of my favorite singers and
inspirations seem to be tenor and can hit those notes that I have a
problem hitting.. I can hit them fine, I just tend to start squelling
and stuff when I get that high. I just wanted to know what it is
that I can do. I know people say that you can't change what you are
born with, but I really want this to happen...what lead singer are
baritone now a days anyways...It almost feels as though my career is
broken just because of my thick vocal chords:( Anyways, I want to
get into the tenor range and become easy with that, but I am not sure
what I need to do.. My teacher was telling me the diaphramatic
breathing style and when I did that I could sing a M2 above my usual
highest chest voice range (the G# above middle C). Anyways, to make
a long story short, I was just wondering what I should work on or
practice in order to get high in the range. I am also a pop singer
and not an opera singer so I don't know if there are any differences
between the two. If you could think of some of my inspirations, you
would understand...Incubus, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. I have
no idea what head voice is and I just tend to falsetto on the high
notes i cannot hit for the best of me...Is there any way I can
stretch my vocal chords to make my chest voice higher? I am hearing
all this stuff about relaxing your larynx and your soft pallete but
if you would hear the music that I listen to, I don't think they do
either..I was also pushing out when I was breathing in through my
diaphram and my teacher told me not to push it out but to let in down
when your breath is gone.. I don't know if Im doing it right on that
either..Not that I want to imitate them, I just want to build some
blocking stones from them and become a great singer like Brandon Boyd
or Chris Cornell. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this
problem im having. Thank you

emusic.com