Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 28, 2001  3:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] A question of register

I'm with Mike here,

You definitely need to work on blending the chest voice into the head
voice......developing the middle. Otherwise, it is my guess that you are
merely trying to reinforce a falsetto sound, which is basically
uninforceable, and may cause a whole slew of other problems and compensatory
behaviours that occur when a voice is out of balance.

There are some specific exercises that you could try as a starting point. I'd
first try and get her to establish what her chest voice is and then go from
there. In speaking and singing, the chest voice should sound nearly, if not
exactly, the same, and then just work on extending that from there. /i/ and
/u/ vowels will help induce vocal fold thinning which will make it easier to
transition between registers.

Hope this helps,
Mary Beth Felker
Seth Riggs Associate.