Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Sep 25, 2001  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] question on auditions

Lauren:

It really depends on what you're auditioning for! If you are auditioning
for an opera, you should sing an aria from that opera, preferably by the
character you want to play. (Opera companies sometimes even specify that
auditioners should sing a certain excerpt from the score.)

If you're auditioning for a musical, the general rule is that you do NOT
sing a song from the show, unless the director specifically asks that you do
so. Instead you should sing a similar song from another show, i.e. if
you're auditioning for "Oklahoma," you may want to sing a number from
"Carousel" or "The King and I."

Above all, don't sing "I Can't Say No" unless your name happens to be
Celeste Holm. ;-)

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"Ist auf deinem Psalter,
Vater der Liebe, ein Ton
Seinem Ohre vernehmlich,
So erquicke sein Herz!"
--J.W. von Goethe

>From: lolipastor@a...
>
>I want to hear some opinions about repertoire for auditions.
>
>If you know the shows that the company is doing, and you are interested in
>certain roles, is it bad to sing the song/aria that the character sings for
>your audition? Or should you completely avoid singing something that is in
>the production rep, and sing something else that has a similar range/feel?
>I've heard many different opinions about this subject, and I can't seem to
>get a straight answer.
>
>Lauren

14225 {rep} recital and audition Arias Dolphin aura   Thu  9/27/2001   2 KB
14228 Re: {rep} recital and audition Arias Karen Mercedes   Thu  9/27/2001   9 KB
14283 Feeling some hostility and poster comment (was:{r Dolphin aura   Sat  9/29/2001   3 KB

emusic.com