Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Sep 24, 2001  3:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SONGS about gypsies

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Fiona Chow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This time I'm looking for songs (either art songs, or folk songs) in any
> language, about gypsies. We know there is quite a bit of opera and operetta
> out there. Any and all suggestions welcome, and yes, I know about the
> Brahms and Dvorak cycles. :).

Folk songs (mostly traditional; I've given songwriters if I know them):

Leo Maguire: The Gypsy Rover (aka The Whistling Gypsy)
Seven Gypsies on Yon Hill
John Duggan: Roads of Kildare
The Little Gypsy Girl
The Gypsy's Warning
The Wraggle-Taggle Gypsies
Gypsy Davey (a variant of same)
Blackjack Davey (American variant of same)
The Gypsie Laddie (another variant of same, collected by Cecil Sharp)
Gypsie Laddies (Scottish variant of same)
Ewan MacColl: I'm a Freeborn Man of the Traveling People
The Fatal Flower Garden
Newman Levy: Carmen
W.C. Handy: St. Louis Blues (2nd verse)
Richard Thompson: The Old Changing Way
Ewan MacColl: Goodby to the Thirty Foot Trailer
Ewan MacColl & Peggy Seeger: Moving on Song
The Lady and the Gypsy (collected by John Jacob Niles)

Art songs:

Liszt: Die drei Zigeuner, op 24a #4 (S320)

Schumann: Zigeunerliedchen I, from "Liederalbum fuer die Jugend" op
79 #7

Wolf: Die Zigeunerin, from "Eichendorff-Lieder" #7

Granados: Canto gitano, from "Canciones Espan~olas" #2

Pugnacci: Il Gitano Re

As you say - a lot from operetta. But if you didn't have them on your
list, you should definitely include "When the gypsy played" by Ivor
Novello (from GLAMOROUS NIGHT), and "Zigeuner" (from BITTER SWEET) by Noel
Coward. There's also The Gypsy Love Song from Victor Herbert's THE FORTUNE
TELLER. And, of course, "Komm zigany" from Kalman's GRAFIN MARIZA.
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |