Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  dgroganvoice@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 21, 2001  4:11 am
Subject:  RE: Roy Hart??

Antonio,

I had not heard of Roy Hart until you mention his name. A quick search on
the internet gave a few leads, but it seems as though he and his predecessor
didn't leave much information about their techniques, at least not through
books and articles. Here are some of the links (and one short article
describing a book) that looked informative:

Dark Voices: The Genesis of the Roy Hart Theatre
By Noah Pikes. Woodstock, Conn.: Spring Journal Books, 1999. Pp. 158.
$19.95, paper.

"Noah Pikes, a founding member of the Roy Hart Theatre, has written the
first book on an iconoclastic band of experimental singers who live together
in southern France and practice techniques that expand the range of the
human voice to equal the eight octaves of the piano. This is a memoir,
though, not a manual of technique. Pikes tells his own story of how he
wandered from the haze of the 1960s into this fierce world of psychodrama
and music, where he was transformed by two remarkable teachers: Alfred
Wolfsohn, originator of the expanded vocal range approach, and his student
Roy Hart, who adopted and expanded Wolfsohn's techniques, turning them into
a way of life inseparable from the art.... It is theater, it is sex, it is
music; it was a wild place to be, and Pikes describes with a probing
seriousness how Roy Hart took Wolfsohn's theories and put them into practice
with a dedicated troupe of players in the 1960s, continuing to the present
day. Writes Pikes, 'Roy wove a philosophy of life and art which he insisted
could not be understood by the intellect alone but had to be lived on a
daily basis.'... It is the proof of a teaching's strength that it outlasts
the charisma of the teacher, and the expansion and expression of the human
voice depicted here continues to unfold." --David Rothenberg

http://www-elec.enst.fr/~dufourd/RoyHart/RHanglais.html
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pantheatre/formatio.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/2961/FYV-voicelinks.htm

It's a start, anyway. Much of the information I ran across was in French,
and I am pretty much uni-lingual. Maybe someone else will have more
information.

Cheers,
David Grogan
Marshall, Texas