Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Sep 21, 2001  12:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] sop/bari duets

Crowd-pleasers, from opera and operetta:

The Bess/Porgy duet from Gershwin's PORGY AND BESS: "Bess, you is my woman
now/I loves you Porgy"

The Sylvia/Franz duet from Victor Herbert's SWEETHEARTS: "Sweethearts" -
or "The Cricket on the Hearth"

Absolutely delightful: The Eurydice/Jupiter "Fly" duet from Offenbach's
ORPHEE AUX ENFERS, "Il m'a semble sur mon epaule...Ah! la belle mouche!" -
what makes this so delightful (and hilarious) is the fact that while
Eurydice sings her part of the duet in French (or English, if you do it in
translation), Jupiter sings his part in "Fly" - i.e., he "buzzes" IN TUNE
- all his responses (because he has transformed himself into a housefly to
seduce Eurydice).

The Margot/Pierre duet from Romberg's THE DESERT SONG, "The Desert Song"

The Marcia/Paul duet from Romberg's MAYTIME, "Will you remember?
(Sweetheart)?"

The Marianne/Robert duet from Romberg's THE NEW MOON, "Wanting you"

The Hanna/Danilo duet from Lehar's DIE LUSTIGE WITWE, "Lippen Schweigen"
aka "The Merry Widow Waltz"

The Marie/Sgt Bruce duet from Friml's ROSE MARIE, "When I'm Calling You
(Indian Love Call)"

The Katherine/Villone duet from Friml's VAGABOND KING, "Only a rose"

The Elsie/Jack Point Duet from Gilbert&Sullivan's YEOMEN OF THE GUARD, "I
have a song to sing, o!"

Karen Mercedes

===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |

14308 Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream-- accessible foTrevor Allen   Mon  10/1/2001
14309 Appendage to: Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream-Trevor Allen   Mon  10/1/2001
14314 Re: Appendage to: Britten's Midsummer Night's DrKaren Mercedes   Mon  10/1/2001
14533 An IPA translation site???Trevor Allen   Fri  10/5/2001

emusic.com