Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cathy Ardrey <cardrey@j...>
Date:  Sat May 6, 2000  3:22 am
Subject:  RE: Met Auditions

Hello, Vocalisters!

I did the Met Auditions once, when I was 27. I enjoyed it because it was
simply a challenge to learn those arias and sing them in competition.

Every contestant at auditions was under 30, except one, and the 32-year old
did not get a call back, even though she was very, very good.

Every contestant that was called back a second time was a mezzo-soprano or
bass/baritone (even though there were several outstanding tenors and
sopranos).

I did not win but got a first call back, but I was thrilled to get called
back at all.

There were absolutely no comments from the judges, but the purpose of this
competition is to scout talent for the Met. Obviously the year I competed
(back in the 80's), there was great need and interest in mezzos and
bass/baritones. It is not for educational purposes like the NATS
competitions where everyone got excellent comments, whether finalists or not
(I loved doing the NATS competitions every year, just for the excellent,
helpful comments!).

Hope this is helpful information.

Catherine Ardrey,
Charleston, SC, USA