Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Sep 19, 2001  1:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Organizing Help!!!

You organized people are NO FUN!

Think of all the pleasurable hours you are missing of going through stacks
of disorganized music. I am always delighted to rediscover pieces of music
I completely forgot I owned during a desperate search for a piece I
THOUGHT I had filed in a certain folder. (My organization begins and ends
with one tote bag full of opera, another full of art song, and a third
full of sacred music - the archives - plus several notebooks and folders,
in no particular order, with music I've worked on more recently, or soon
plan to work on. The music I *am* working on lays in stacks all over my
dining room table.)

My opera scores, by contrast, are neatly filed alphabetically, first by
composer's surname, then by opera title within composer classification.
The rest of my songbooks, however, are simply stacked wherever I can find
room for them.

Funny thing, in the 7 years that I've used this filing "method", I have
only ever lost one piece of music - my original copy of "Ah love, but a
day" by Amy Beach (low voice version), which, fortunately, I had a
photocopy of "filed" separately. Deep in my heart of hearts, I believe I
will probably stumble across that errant song one of these days. Were I
ever to really organize my music, I could have no such faith.

KM
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |