Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Wed Sep 19, 2001  12:59 am
Subject:  Re: Organizing Help!!!

My motto is keep it simple. I have one binder for each
language, and I file all the photocopies of songs in
each language in the binders alphabetically by title
(of song/aria). At the front of each binder I have an
evolving table of contents so I can quickly scan to
see what I have. The table of contents also lists
composer, what opera if any it's from, etc. I also put
translations (eg if I've photocopied one from a book
or downloaded one off the net) with the songs/arias in
this binder.

Additionally, I have some specialty binders based on
what I would use the music for - Christmas, wedding,
funeral, generic sacred, more than one singer. I do
lots of church stuff, so this is helpful for me.

For books, I have them on my bookshelf, not arranged
in any particular order at this time since I don't
have enough of them to worry about not being able to
find something. Individual sheet music (the purchased
kind you don't want to put holes through), I put in
magazine holders in alphabetical order.

I also am developing a computerized database that has
the title, composer, key, if I have a computerized
version (I often transpose songs with my notation
program), if I have performed it, in which book or
binder it is located, etc. Once this is completed, I
won't have to look through various books to know if I
have the music - I can quickly look up the title, or
the composer, or the opera, etc. and will know exactly
where to go.

I think the most important considerations in
developing a filing system (as someone who used to be
a secretary who has created filing systems for several
people/companies) are what you will use it for and
what is the most likely way you will look things up.
If you read through the suggestions so far, we all
have our different methods, and they all work for us.
But what works for you might be different. I'd suggest
starting by writing down how you normally look for
music - do you go by specific composer? opera? genre?
title? Do you have certain things you do with the
music? For example, I sing at funerals, so I have one
binder with music appropriate for funerals so I can
quickly look through it when I'm asked to suggest
something. Also, what format is your music in? Is it
mostly photocopies, books? Once you can answer these
questions you'll have a better basis for figuring out
what will work for you. It doesn't matter if anyone
else can find your music, as long as you can!

mentioned providing her pianists with a binder with
all of the music in clear plastic sheet protectors -
It's great in theory but here's a cautionary tale: A
couple of weeks ago my pianist and I performed
impromptu at a fundraiser (and won some theatre
tickets :o). She has all of her music in a binder in
clear plastic sheet protectors, which in this case was
a very bad thing, because the lights reflected off the
protectors and she couldn't see much of the music.
Fortunately for me, she faked fairly well. She has now
removed the sheet protectors and hole punched the
music :o).

Jennifer

14144 Re: Organizing Help!!! Karen Mercedes   Wed  9/19/2001   3 KB

emusic.com