Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Sep 18, 2001  12:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Organizing Help!!!

Milena Sertich Grubor wrote:

> Hello vocalisters,
> I was wondering if anyone out there has devised a system that really works
> to keep music organized without hiring a secratary! I am getting to the
> point where I really cannot find things when I need them.
> I have tons of loose sheets, random binders with groups of songs, but no
> real way to organize, by composer? by language? by opera? How can I
> keep copies for accompanists handy too without having them walk away with
> the copies later?

I find the simpler the system, the better. I like to
organize first by genre - art song, opera, oratorio,
Broadway, popular. Then within most genres, I'd group the
anthologies first in any old order (there can't be that
many), then the rest alphabetically by composer, within each
composer by title of the major work. So in an opera, I'd
have all the Verdi operas under Verdi, then alphabetically
by opera, and within an opera by title of the aria. I don't
have any popular music, but if I were organizing it, I
probably would alphabatize either by song title or artist,
whichever I think would be easier for me to find what I
want.

I would file accompanist and other extra copies with the
originals (why have two filing systems?). As to how to
accompanists from walking away with copies? I'm afraid the
only way is to remember to ask for the music before the
accompanist leaves.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...