Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Sep 11, 2001  9:45 pm
Subject:  Report from the Washington area

I live about 10 miles from the Pentagon. I was at work.
My husband was home at the time - watching the news coverage
on TV.
He heard the plane crash - a noise louder than a normal
airplane passing overhead or a thunderclap - he describes it
almost as something felt rather than heard - then a few
minutes later saw on TV that the plane has crashed into the
Pentagon.

I work for the Federal government in downtown DC (Dept. of
Housing and Urban Development). First we were permitted to
go home early, and I hung around with a couple of coworkers,
because I knew transportation to Virginia on the Metro would
be disrupted past the Pentagon, where I had to go to get to
where my car is parked.

But then the guard asked us all to leave the building. So I
took the Metro with a coworker to a different part of
Virginia not affected by the Pentagon situation, he had a
friend meet us, and he drove me to where I could get the
Metro in Virginia to my car and I got home without incident,
though it took a while.

I think the actual number of casualties here in DC is
nothing close to what happened in NY, though I sure the
situation is grim for the folks working in the Pentagon in
the vicinity of where the plane hit it. I'm glad my father
retired from the Pentagon eight years ago!

Some of the school systems are shutting down today, others
are still open. But all the colleges are closed for the
day. This is a disturbing and frightening situation. My
heart goes out to folks in NY City, and my thoughts and
prayers are with you and your families.

I imagine all performances at the Kennedy Center are
cancelled this evening, and I read on the opera list that a
musician who was to play at The Washington Opera tomorrow
night was called and told that Wednesday's opera performance
has been cancelled.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...