Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Sep 10, 2001  1:16 am
Subject:  Re: Falsetto voice

"Joe King" <joecool250@b...> wrote:
> Is falsetto good or bad? Isnt falsetto where it can get really
high?,
> esp inguys?

There are two ways to think about falsetto - Most people consider
anything that is *not* based on the modal voice as falsetto. There
are others (namely some academics) that would consider it the very
limited range register that relies on the vocal folds being thinned
out, full length, and flaccid. Pure falsetto is not all that high,
actually, it's range is about A3 to D5. By definition, there is
little control of dynamics, since there is very little muscular
activity in the larynx for this register.

Many people would call what I do falsetto, and that's fine, I guess,
as long as there is some distinction made between what I produce and
a pure, clinical falsetto. I can do perform a messa di voce almost
anywhere in my range, and I don't loose a lot of air, as one does
using the typically breathy falsetto. It also allows me to vocalize
up to a B5, considerably higher than what is usual for falsetto.

As someone who has sung some tenor, I also feel the technique most
very high Rossini tenors use above Bb4 is exactly the same as what
I'm doing (I just use it differently). People can argue that all they
want, but that is the sensation I have in my body.

As for the "is it good?" question. Yes, it's great! It just depends
on how you use it.

Tako Oda,
Countertenor

emusic.com