Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 7, 2001  4:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Against All Arts: Elusive Health Insurance Antagonizes America...

In a message dated 9/7/2001 11:32:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sopran@a...
writes:

<< You could always include an "aside"--for example (NOTE: I'm being cynical
here, but not trying to dis anyone!) >>

but judy, there was nothing inherently dissing about my comment. the
possibility of someone taking it as such never occured to me and, i don't
think it was taken as such. i believe it was objected to as being useless,
rather than insulting, by someone who probably wasn't in the mood for such
comments. i can understand that. better to just ignore it or comment
privately but, it's not really a big deal.

on the other hand, another vocalister picked up the ball and ran with it
so, we were able to laugh at something that probably frustrates us as well.
some people deal with things with humor, some don't. is there not room for
both?

using emoticons in satire is the death of satire. comedians who laugh
at their own jokes are usually the only ones laughing. broadcasting the
upcoming punchline with feigned laughter ruins any surprise it might have
had, otherwise.

the first time i saw 'west side story', maria living at the end
devestated me. in 'romeo and juliet', there is comfort in the notion that
they are together in the stars. when i saw 'west side story' for the first
time, because i had read 'romeo and juliet', i fully expected maria to die as
well. but, when she lives, the thought of her as an old woman still pining
after tony is the most despairing thought i could imagine and that
realization hit me instantly, similar to the idea of one's life flashing
before one's eyes. if someone had told me that she lives before i had seen
it, the ending would have been ruined for me.

at both extremes, from the trite to the ultimate, the logic, for me,
remains the same. put the thought out and let people react as they see fit.
in that sense, the use of emoticons is telling people how to think.
singers who get all emotional while they are singing limit the range in which
their audience might react, too.

concerning the notion that we can't read someone's tone of voice, my
deadpan delivery wouldn't have been much help either.

mike

emusic.com