Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Sep 7, 2001  12:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Anybody see "Little Women" on PBS?

Where does my "talent" come from?

I love to do research. I'm a visual learner, which means I read and absorb
quickly.

Of course, being a visual (rather than aural or physical) learner has made
learning to sing well somewhat more of a challenge than it might have been
otherwise. I've had to LEARN how to learn physically and aurally.

An example: last week at a coaching, the coach asked if I'd brought a tape
recorder. After years of taping lessons, and getting very little from
playing back those tapes, I learned I did much better if I wrote down
notes of all we'd gone over in lessons - ditto coachings. So I told him
that I would retain much more by jotting notes down on the sheet music
based on what we went over in the coaching than I ever would trying to
pick out those messages again by listening to a tape. I know this sounds
counterintuitive, but it's something I learned early on about how I learn:
a two word reminder scrawled in the margins will bring on immediate recall
of everything we went over in the coaching at least as effectively as
listening to the entire coaching again on tape. Go figure.

KM
My NEIL SHICOFF pages - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
My own pages - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

+ In all thy ways acknowledge him, +