Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shuff@c...
Date:  Fri May 5, 2000  4:10 pm
Subject:  Met Auditions

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question! I was especially
glad to get some views from "the other side" - from the judge's point
of view, as well.

Those I've known (whether personally or indirectly) who've won the
Nationals seem to have taken the same turn indicated by a respondent
- a little boost, but not much more than that. One singer I knew
indirectly is doing pretty well in NY - Greg Touray - my husband won
against him in NATS several years ago. Others seem to get regional
work, but don't seem to go further. My teacher was a Nationals
winner in '82 (I think), and it really did launch her international
career - she did leading roles at the Met with Kraus, Domingo, etc.
Maybe she was an exception, or maybe things have changed since then.

My personal experience was that I was a district winner at 23, but
felt overwhelmed by the competition at the regional level. I was
perplexed by the judges varying comments - but did feel encouraged by
the experience. My husband, who is just now coming into his big
tenor voice at 32, had a frustrating experience his last time out
(1995 - he was 27) - someone wrote that if you don't seem to fall
into a neat category, the judges don't seem to want you. His choices
were criticized more than his voice. One of his competitors on the
district and regional levels won the Nationals that year - Susan
Tilbury. She came to Louisville, KY to do a Romeo and Juliet, but I
don't know what else she's done, other than have a baby! Another
National winner we knew indirectly was Jamie Rogers - who was on the
Paul Bunyon broadcast from NYCO, and just came to Louisville to do
Adele (Fledermaus), and I know she did Queen of the Night (I think?)
in Nashville, and something in Knoxville, her home town.

This brings up another point - is it my imagination, or is there a
glass ceiling where the NYCO is concerned in terms of the Met? I
know another singer, Danny Mobbs, who is working steadily, and has
done several roles with NYCO, but hasn't hit the Met stage.

Anybody want to comment?

Sarah

emusic.com