Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  2:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Resume for inexperienced (was: Cover Letters for Singers)

In a message dated 9/4/01 11:29:29 PM, ihateegroups@y... writes:

<< I've
done lots of church gigs, and a few weddings and
funerals, but that's about it. Most of the resumes of
other singers I've seen list opera roles they've
performed, orchestras or opera companies they've
appeared with, etc. What should I put down that will
encourage busy conductors who have dozens of resumes
in front of them that they should listen to me? >>

Jennifer,

First of all, remember that it's okay to be a beginner, and it's okay to be a
late bloomer. Everyone has to start somewhere--and very few people are born
on the stage of the Met!

You may want to opt for a letter resume rather than the more standard outline
form. It's less formal, and it will also be less obvious (at first glance)
that you don't have much experience.

I'd also recommend that you get hold of a book entitled "Knock 'Em Dead Cover
Letters"--because your cover letter is going to have to work very hard for
you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE or exaggerate your limited experience. Instead,
talk about what you've been able to accomplish so far, what it has taught you
and what you would like to do in the future.

Make it clear that you are willing to accept small roles, or ensemble jobs,
and that you will work hard and give it your all.

If you KNOW any complete roles, I think that it's okay for an admitted
beginner to list them, as long as you make it 100% clear that you have not
performed them in public.

If you've presented solo recitals, won any awards, etc., by all means mention
them. If there is a respected professional who is willing to give you a
reference, I would also include that.

My very first resume included the list of oratorios that I had sung as a
member of the chorus or minor soloist. It may have been overkill--there were
more than 30--
but it was clear that I had exposure to a wide range of languages, musical
styles and composers from Schutz to Shostakovich. I think it also showed that
I had a lot of energy and interest. And I got work from it!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Judy

emusic.com