Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Sep 2, 2001  5:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High breath

gilles and randy,

despite all my efforts, if i keep the muscles above my larynx relaxed, no
matter what else i do, i can't get my larynx to move up, even hanging upside
down didn't work (although, why i am so keen on making this happen, is beyond
me). the instant, i involve any of those muscles just above the larynx, up
it goes. one does not have to complete the act of swallowing in order to
involve those muscles nor, do i know which muscles involved in the act of
swallowing actually raise the larynx. as swallowing is an action that
probably involves more than one muscle, i would guess it is possible to
involve some of those muscles and, leaving the others out, raise the larynx
as in swallowing while making what appears to be an unrelated movement.

the only reasons i can think of for a singer to preset a high larynx
would be either out of a misconception of how the voice works and, this would
usually be with the misconception that 'high notes' are a matter of height
or, they are looking for the sound that a higher larynx makes. there are a
number of styles outside of classical where the sound of a higher larynx is
not only accepted but, desirable, health considerations being a seperate
issue.

granted, i am going on my own perceptions, experimenting in a rather
un-scientific manner yet, i doubt whether one's experience could alter the
nature and behavior of one's physiology.

mike, jr. alchemist

emusic.com